Pelumi Olajengbesi revealed that Igboho was not arrested but that he surrendered himself to security agents.
The lawyer said the freedom fighter surrendered himself because he believes in justice for his people.
“Truly he was arrested and I have confirmed that. We are making efforts to ensure that he is fine. You know the Department of State Services declared him wanted.
“As a matter of fact, let me tell you now. That Sunday Igboho was arrested simply because he wanted to make himself available to the government. If not, Sunday Igboho is not someone who can be arrested that way. But because he believes that the journey to justice for the Yoruba people and for the Nigerian state to be able to live in peace may be needed for him to be available, that was why,” he told newsmen on Tuesday.
Igboho was arrested by security operatives in an airport in Cotonou, Benin Republic, while trying to flee to Germany.
Efforts are said to be ongoing towards repatriating him to Nigeria.
The Department of State Services, DSS, had recently declared Igboho wanted, after his residence in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, was invaded.
Some of his aides were killed while others were arrested. The secret police also claimed to have recovered guns and charms from Igboho’s residence.
However, the freedom fighter had debunked DSS claims on weapons, maintaining that he protected himself with traditional powers and not with weapons.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment