Sunday Igboho can’t be arrested, he surrendered himself– Lawyer
Lawyer of Oduduwa Republic agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho, has disclosed how his client was arrested.
Pelumi Olajengbesi revealed that Igboho was not arrested but that he surrendered himself to security agents.
The lawyer said the freedom fighter surrendered himself because he believes in justice for his people.
“Truly he was arrested and I have confirmed that. We are making efforts to ensure that he is fine. You know the Department of State Services declared him wanted.
“As a matter of fact, let me tell you now. That Sunday Igboho was arrested simply because he wanted to make himself available to the government. If not, Sunday Igboho is not someone who can be arrested that way. But because he believes that the journey to justice for the Yoruba people and for the Nigerian state to be able to live in peace may be needed for him to be available, that was why,” he told newsmen on Tuesday.
Igboho was arrested by security operatives in an airport in Cotonou, Benin Republic, while trying to flee to Germany.
Efforts are said to be ongoing towards repatriating him to Nigeria.
The Department of State Services, DSS, had recently declared Igboho wanted, after his residence in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, was invaded.
Some of his aides were killed while others were arrested. The secret police also claimed to have recovered guns and charms from Igboho’s residence.
However, the freedom fighter had debunked DSS claims on weapons, maintaining that he protected himself with traditional powers and not with weapons.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- CBN releases cash, orders banks to operate on weekends
- Supreme Court opens up on CJN trip, meeting Tinubu
- Buhari never said he wouldn’t hand over to Tinubu– Presidency
- Okowa congratulates Adeleke on Appeal Court victory
- Ekweremadu, wife to be sentenced on May 5
- CBN confirms evacuation of banknotes, directs banks to open for weekend operations
- CBN begins monitoring of old notes circulation:
- Ademola Adeleke is the duly elected governor of Osun— Appeal Court
- BREAKING…Appeal court reinstates Adeleke as Osun governor
- Kwara Gov sympathises with residents over rainstorm, flooding incidents