Syria condemns efforts to destabilise Belarus – UNHRC
Syria calls against interference in Belarus’ internal affairs and attempts to destabilise the situation in the Eastern European country amid ongoing anti-government protests.
A spokesperson of the Arab country at the UN Human Rights Council’s (UNHRC) Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Belarus’ human rights record made the call on Monday.
The spokesperson at the UPR said “thank you, we welcome the delegation of Belarus and we commend its efforts to develop the legislative and institutional framework for promoting and protecting human rights at the domestic level.
“We also welcome the measures taken by the government to tackle interference in internal affairs.
“We condemn the efforts to destabilise the country and its political and legal system and to promote disturbances by undermining constitutional guarantees.’’
Protests in Belarus, triggered by incumbent Alexander Lukashenko’s victory in a presidential election, which the opposition considers to have been rigged, have been ongoing since mid-August.
The opposition and its supporters believe that Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was the true victor.
The Belarusian authorities have repeatedly said that anti-government demonstrations in the republic were being coordinated from abroad.
The European Union has refused to recognise Lukashenko as president and imposed targeted sanctions against Belarusian officials, citing alleged election fraud and violence against protesters.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- What Buhari told Nigerians in his 38–paragraph final address
- Yoruba nation promoters take over FG Radio station, declares self-govt
- President Buhari confers citizenship on 385 foreigners
- I have made Nigeria better– Buhari insists
- Bakare utters suprising statements as Tinubu takes over power tomorrow
- Tuition increment: 2 UNIABUJA students expelled
- Defence Minister hand-over to Perm Sec., Ibrahim Kana
- Lagos to ban parking on roads
- South-east eternally grateful for Second Niger Bridge completion– Soludo
- Buhari, Shettima, Sultan, others attend Inauguration in Abuja