Syria calls against interference in Belarus’ internal affairs and attempts to destabilise the situation in the Eastern European country amid ongoing anti-government protests.
A spokesperson of the Arab country at the UN Human Rights Council’s (UNHRC) Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Belarus’ human rights record made the call on Monday.
The spokesperson at the UPR said “thank you, we welcome the delegation of Belarus and we commend its efforts to develop the legislative and institutional framework for promoting and protecting human rights at the domestic level.
“We also welcome the measures taken by the government to tackle interference in internal affairs.
“We condemn the efforts to destabilise the country and its political and legal system and to promote disturbances by undermining constitutional guarantees.’’
Protests in Belarus, triggered by incumbent Alexander Lukashenko’s victory in a presidential election, which the opposition considers to have been rigged, have been ongoing since mid-August.
The opposition and its supporters believe that Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was the true victor.
The Belarusian authorities have repeatedly said that anti-government demonstrations in the republic were being coordinated from abroad.
The European Union has refused to recognise Lukashenko as president and imposed targeted sanctions against Belarusian officials, citing alleged election fraud and violence against protesters.
Contact: [email protected]
- First Bank team visits KAM Holding CEO, Kamoru Yusuf in Ilorin
- After jumping bail, EFCC produces fugitive ex-pension boss Maina in court
- Osun Assembly to work speedily on Bill to protect people living with disabilities
- Sanction contractors who fail to complete projects, FRC advises MDAs
- Children with disabilities most disadvantaged during COVID-19 – UNICEF
- Verdict expected as trial of exiled journalist resumes in Turkey
- FG approves charges on new Lagos-Ibadan rail
- Libyan justice ministry welcomes lifting of travel ban on Gadhafi family members
- Lawyer solicits support for orphanages
- India’s central bank projects faster economic recovery
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)