Syria calls against interference in Belarus’ internal affairs and attempts to destabilise the situation in the Eastern European country amid ongoing anti-government protests.
A spokesperson of the Arab country at the UN Human Rights Council’s (UNHRC) Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Belarus’ human rights record made the call on Monday.
The spokesperson at the UPR said “thank you, we welcome the delegation of Belarus and we commend its efforts to develop the legislative and institutional framework for promoting and protecting human rights at the domestic level.
“We also welcome the measures taken by the government to tackle interference in internal affairs.
“We condemn the efforts to destabilise the country and its political and legal system and to promote disturbances by undermining constitutional guarantees.’’
Protests in Belarus, triggered by incumbent Alexander Lukashenko’s victory in a presidential election, which the opposition considers to have been rigged, have been ongoing since mid-August.
The opposition and its supporters believe that Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was the true victor.
The Belarusian authorities have repeatedly said that anti-government demonstrations in the republic were being coordinated from abroad.
The European Union has refused to recognise Lukashenko as president and imposed targeted sanctions against Belarusian officials, citing alleged election fraud and violence against protesters.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank