By Akin Richy, Osogbo
Osun State Governor, Mr Gboyega Oyetola was on Sunday declared the winner of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in the state. This is largely seen in political circle as a victory to the kingmaker and godfather of south west politics, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu over his erswhile godson, Rauf Aregbesola, the minister of Interior who openly challenged the 2023 presidential aspirant to the chargrin of members of the political family.
The Governor, who is seeking re-election, polled 222,169, votes to defeat his closet rival, Alhaji Moshood Adeoti, the preferred candidate of the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, who scored 12,921.
Oyetola, on Saturday won in all the 30 local government areas of the state in the direct primary election.
He also defeated Mr Lasun Yusuf, a former Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, who scored 460 votes.
The Kwara Governor, AbdulRaham AbdulRazak, Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, announced the results about 3.00 a.m at the APC Secretariat in Osogbo on Sunday, saying that the total registered voters for the exercise was 408,697.
According to the Chairman, the total numbers of accredited voters was 247, 207, while the total votes cast was 235,550.
His words : “I, AbdulRaham AbdulRazak, the Chairman, Primary Election Committee, hereby certified that Adegboyega Isiaka Oyetola, having scored the highest votes cast in Osun governorship primary election held on Feb.19 and met all requirements as contained in the guidelines of the election is hereby declared the winner”.
While speaking, the Chairman of APC in Osun, Prince Gboyega Famodun, commended the committee for a job well done.
Famodun said the peaceful outcome of the primary had put an end to tension in the state.
He said the party would work toward the victory of Oyetola, who is now the party’s candidate for July 16 governorship election in the state.
- Yahoo boy arrested for beating undergraduate girlfriend to death in Ogun
- Governor Ikpeazu signs female inheritance bill into law
- Kwara Gov. reshuffles cabinet, swears-in new commissioners, others
- SON issues MANCAP certificates to 102 companies in Kano
- KAM Holding Gets SON Applause, Bags 6 MANCAP Certificates (PHOTOS)
- ASUU: Lectures receive full salaries for November, without arrears
- Osun Speaker, Owoeye meets Governor Adeleke
- Adeleke tasks panels to recover ”looted” state assets
- Lawmaker assures release of detained Nigerian lady in UAE
- Qatar says 500 death toll of World Cup workers recorded