Two brother have been arrested for impersonating the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibadan zonal office, Oyo State, to extort money from Internet fraudsters with a promise to shield them from being arrested by the commission.
They are; Olatunji Joe Beyioku (35) and Oluwayomi Beyioku (37) – were arrested in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, on Friday during a sting operation.
EFCC operatives had embarked on discreet investigations into the activities of the suspects who claimed to be spy police officers with the rank of deputy superintendent of police and ‘assisted’ the commission with information on the whereabouts of Internet fraudsters within the town.
The zonal office of the commission in a statement on Friday said it was discovered that the suspects only exposed those who failed to meet their demands while making millions of naira sabotaging the commission’s efforts.
The statement read in part, “A search conducted on the younger brother’s palatial residence along the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway suggested that they may be living far above their means. Items found in the multi-million naira building also raised suspicion of the brothers’ possible involvement in other forms of criminal activities.
“Items recovered from them include two cars; Honda Accord Crosstour and a Mercedes Benz GLK and different brands of mobile phones and charms.”
- 52 new Pharmacists emerged at UNILORIN
- Reps reject Naira swap extension, threatens Emefiele’s arrest
- UNILORIN: Female varsity don performs first cancer-of-the-eye treatment
- Fuel scarcity bites harder in Dutse as litre hits N340
- New Notes: We will monitor banks’ vaults– CBN
- Rail transport system coming to Ebonyi soon– Umahi
- Art Legendary, Oladejo Akinlonu dies at 60
- Dogara takes over today as new NYSC DG
- IsDB, UNCTAD, unite over sustainable investment
- How I deal with people who disappoint me— Tinubu