The United States Mission in Nigeria on Friday said it was concerned over the “reports of the deteriorating political climate in Edo State.”
In a tweet via its verified page, the diplomatic envoy added that it was disappointed with the role played by some political actors in the state.
The Edo State Governorship Election is scheduled to hold on September 19 but preparations have been marred with violent rhetoric and dramatic scenes.
On Thursday, some men damaged the roof and mace of the state’s House of Assembly as police sealed the building.
“The United States supports a democratic process where the will of the Nigerian people is reflected in the results, and does not favour any party or candidate,” the US Embassy said, in a comment over the Edo and Ondo state governorship elections.
The Ondo election is scheduled for October 10.
“We are especially concerned with allegations of interference by security forces in political matters, which we will continue to monitor closely in the run-up to gubernatorial elections in the state in September,” the Embassy continued.
Urging a free, fair, transparent and peaceful process, the US envoy encouraged all stakeholders, including the election umpire, INEC, political parties and the security services, to “continue to improve the electoral process.”
“We look to Nigeria as an important leader on the African continent,” the Embassy added.
“As a democratic partner of Nigeria, the United States remains committed to working together to achieve our mutual goals of peace and prosperity for the citizens of both our countries.”
- ICPC: D’banj breaks silence after release
- Tinubu better than Peter Obi, but he’s a drug lord– Reno
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity