The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), has confirmed the detention of Oladipo-Daniel Oyebanjo, popularly known as D’Banj, over ongoing investigation into diversion of N-Power programme funds.
Mrs Azuka Ogugua, the Commission’s spokesperson said this in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja.
Ogugua said that the investigation followed numerous petitions on the diversion of N-Power funds running into billions of naira.
She said many N-Power beneficiaries had complained over the non-receipt of the monthly stipends in spite of payment by the Federal Government.
“About 10 persons have been invited by the ICPC over the last few months in connection with the N-Power fraud, and have been granted administrative bail after their detention.
“Several invitations to Oyebanjo to appear before a team of investigators were ignored and not honoured.
“Oyebanjo turned in himself and was taken into custody at the ICPC Headquarters on Tuesday, December 6, 2022, and is currently assisting the investigators to unravel the circumstances of the fraud allegations by the petitioners.
“The investigation will be all-encompassing and also be extended to other collaborators of the fraud and the banks where the beneficiaries’ accounts are domiciled.
“This press release has become necessary to set the record straight in view of the reports awash in the media,” she said.
According to her, investigation is ongoing and the commission prefers not to preempt its outcome in order to avoid media trial.
However, a source said, “Our investigation shows that D’banj colluded with some government officials to infuse ghost beneficiaries into the payroll of the scheme. With this, the stipend paid to those ghost beneficiaries are directly paid to bank accounts linked to the singer.
“On arrival he was interrogated for hours after which he was detained and his plea for administrative bail was rejected by officials, for lack of trust.”
The N-Power is a scheme established by President Muhammadu Buhari on June 8, 2016, to empower unemployed graduates.
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List
- TESCOM: 7, 241 Oyo Teachers, Non-Teaching Staff Write 2022 Promotion Exams
- FG promotes 30 directorate cadre, others in Police Affairs Ministry
- 2024 budget: Army mulls unmanned aerial vehicle command
- Alleged Abduction: EFCC, DSS Risk Contempt Proceedings In Court Over Emefiele
- Senate frowns as NCoS feeds dogs better than inmates
- NAPTIP laments tracking machine as woman sells 120 children