A dreadful start from the hosts and they’ll be thankful that it was only 2-0. Ecuador now have a real chance of qualifying from Group A, and Qatar look as though their chances might be zero.
After all of the hype and controversy, the opening night of Qatar 2022 ultimately fell flat. At least from the hosts’ perspective.
Felix Sanchez’s side may only have been beaten 2-0, but the gulf in class to Ecuador was painfully evident during a particularly one-sided first half.
Enner Valencia was the star of the show, scoring twice – once from the penalty spot, and then with a stunning header.
Qatar, then, have it all to do to avoid the ignominy of a first-round exit, while Ecuador look like a vibrant young side capable of equalling their best-ever World Cup showing – a last-16 finish at Germany 2006.
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution