Qatar makes history as earliest host country to get eliminated in the World Cup
Qatar became the first World Cup host country to get eliminated after its first two games following a loss to Senegal on Friday November 25.
The tournament hosts slipped to a second successive defeat in Group A on Friday, losing 3-1 to Senegal. That loss came after they were beaten by Ecuador 2-0 in their group opener on Sunday and leaves them with no chance of qualifying for the knockout phase after Ecuador and the Netherlands played out a 1-1 draw.
Qatar still have one final game against the Netherlands on Tuesday, and even if they managed to pull off a shock win, they can only finish on a total of three points, which is not enough to catch their group rivals.
South Africa is the only other host nation to be knocked out in the group stage of the World Cup, but they were only knocked out in the final game of the group stage in 2010.
- INEC investigates viral video of extortion during PVCs collection in Enugu
- Buhari inaugurates 10mw solar plant in Kano State
- Court remands woman for pouring hot water on her co-wife in Kwara
- UNA-USA Ambassador, Lady Tee Thompson applauds KAM Holding for promoting SDGs
- Why I am not allocating land in FCT – Minister
- Nigeria records 244 confirmed cases of Lassa fever, 37 deaths in 16 states and FCT
- 2023: Kwara Hausa/Fulani community adopts NNPP guber candidate
- LASU Senate elects Omobitan new Deputy VC
- Abuja /Kaduna train to resume operations on Tuesday
- Diezani drags EFCC to court to recover seized assets