The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) on Wednesday in Ilorin caution people on use of online pharmacy in purchasing prescription drugs.
Mr Aliu Bakau, Chairman of PSN, Kwara Chapter made the warnings during an Press Conference to mark the World Pharmacy Day Celebration 2019, themed:” Safe and Effective Medicines for all”.
Bakau said prescription drugs must be authorised and prescribed by doctors and pharmacists, adding that the requirements for prescription drugs is interface between the patient and doctors and the pharmacists.
The PSN Chairman explained that PSN is not averse to technological innovations and development, however observed that technology has its own limitations.
“Drugs are not commodities that should be sold through superarkets, kiosks and hawkers. There are standardized outlets for pharmaceuticals,” he said.
He advised people to schedule visits with their doctors and pharmacists, adding that diseases can be manage and patient need not die from their diseases.
He advised people to always keep their drugs at required temperature, while pledging that pharmacists are ready to partner with States and Federal Governments to provide safe and effective medicine for the people across the country.
Also speaking, the Director of Pharmaceutical Services, Kwara Ministry of Health, Dr Barakat Olarewaju said the PSN, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and other relevant agencies are cooperating to to fight the menace of drug abuse in Nigeria.
She explained that the watch word is to reduce demand for controlled drugs and only make it available to patients who have legitimate need for them.
Olarewaju said that even pharmacist are required to sell these drugs under stringent condition.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 62 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate