The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) on Wednesday in Ilorin caution people on use of online pharmacy in purchasing prescription drugs.
Mr Aliu Bakau, Chairman of PSN, Kwara Chapter made the warnings during an Press Conference to mark the World Pharmacy Day Celebration 2019, themed:” Safe and Effective Medicines for all”.
Bakau said prescription drugs must be authorised and prescribed by doctors and pharmacists, adding that the requirements for prescription drugs is interface between the patient and doctors and the pharmacists.
The PSN Chairman explained that PSN is not averse to technological innovations and development, however observed that technology has its own limitations.
“Drugs are not commodities that should be sold through superarkets, kiosks and hawkers. There are standardized outlets for pharmaceuticals,” he said.
He advised people to schedule visits with their doctors and pharmacists, adding that diseases can be manage and patient need not die from their diseases.
He advised people to always keep their drugs at required temperature, while pledging that pharmacists are ready to partner with States and Federal Governments to provide safe and effective medicine for the people across the country.
Also speaking, the Director of Pharmaceutical Services, Kwara Ministry of Health, Dr Barakat Olarewaju said the PSN, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and other relevant agencies are cooperating to to fight the menace of drug abuse in Nigeria.
She explained that the watch word is to reduce demand for controlled drugs and only make it available to patients who have legitimate need for them.
Olarewaju said that even pharmacist are required to sell these drugs under stringent condition.
- 2020 Hajj: Saudi retains 95, 000 slots for Nigeria
- Saudi compensates 2015 crane crash victims
- BREAKING…. Anthony Joshua beats Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia
- SAD… Reinhard Bonnke dies at 79
- Bureau of statistics releases new corruption rate ratio in Nigeria
- BREAKING…. Court sentences two ‘Yahoo Yahoo’ boys to 6months jailterm in Ilorin
- Everton fires Manager, Marco Silva
- Nigeria will soon be self-sufficient in rice production— Minister
- Minister launches NAVSA, to create 6million jobs in 10yrs
- Committee of CMDs raises alarm over impending problems