Recall that the Kogi State House of Assembly had last week passed a resolution for the closure of the company, following Aliko Dangote’s failure to honour its invitation.
Following the resolution, youths in the state allegedly stormed the company and attacked the workers.
A statement by the state commissioner for Information and Communication, Kingsley Fanwo, on Wednesday said the government recognised the citizens rights to protest, but said the resolution of the State Assembly must also be respected.
“The Governor has also urged the Management of Dangote Group to ensure the Cement Factory at Obajana is shut down within the next 48 hours in honor of the legislative arm of Government which ordered the plant sealed until the Dangote Group furnishes the legislature with the requisite documents demanded by the legislature.
“As a Government, we will defend and protect all Government institutions against impunity.
“The Governor also wishes to assure the people of the state of his unwavering commitment to defending their interest without compromise.
“As the face of the struggle with the over four million Kogites behind him, he will ensure the interest of the state is defended with a high sense of integrity, responsibility and allegiance through democratic instruments,” said the statement.
The government however urged the people to remain civil, law abiding and give room for constitutionalism.
“Breakdown of law and order will not be in the interest of anyone as we hope to remain the most peaceful state in Nigeria.
“To this end, the Governor has directed that trucks loading cement that are impounded across the State be released with immediate effect to either return to the plant or go to their destinations peacefully.
“As a State, we must retain the peaceful and business friendly environment that have attracted scores of investment giants to the state in the last seven years,” the statement added.
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt