The Presidency has said it will not dispute the decision of the Senate to reject the request of President Muhammadu Buhari to borrow $29.9 billion.
The Senior Special Assistant to President Buhari on National Assembly Matters, Sen. Ita Enang, disclosed this while briefing journalists in Abuja on Tuesday.
The Senate on Tuesday rejected the request of Mr. Buhari to borrow $29.9 billion as part of its external borrowing plan for 2016 to 2018.
The leader of the Senate, Ali Ndume, told journalists after plenary that the request was rejected due to the absence of certain documents that should have accompanied the letter.
Ita Enang, therefore, said that the Presidency would not be disputing with the senate but would rather engage with them on the issue that had been raised.
“We are not disputing with the distinguished Senate.
“There are certain information and details which will enable them to consider in detail, and appropriately the request of Mr President.
“So we are collating that information. The Budget Office of the Federation, the Debt Management Office, the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Minister of Finance and the economic team are collating the information so that it can be submitted to the Senate to enable them take the appropriate decision.
“We would be engaging the Senate. We will not be disputing with them but we will be engaging with them.
“When we present a matter before the legislature it is for them to consider and as they have considered, more information is needed and that information they are entitled to it and we would provide,” he said.
- Why I’m supporting Tinubu, AbdulRazaq— Latinwo
- INEC has no business with MC Olumo, but park managers– REC
- Protesters shut Benin’s CBN branch over Naira scarcity
- Opposition behind naira frustration– Lai Mohammed
- Breaking…. IPMAN orders fuel stations to shutdown operations
- Turkey-Syria Earthquake: Death toll crosses 5,000
- Atiku pays courtesy visit to Bauchi traditional rulers
- FG tasks Hajj Institute on best services to pilgrims
- Man United massively transformed under Ten Hag – De Gea
- Naira redesign: Don’t make Nigerians scapegoats, says Atiku