About $1.73 billion Foreign Direct Investment, (FDI), had been attracted to the Nigeria’s Telecommunications and Information Technology sector under the current administration, the Minister of Communications, Barrister Adebayo Shittu, has revealed.
The minister, on Monday also highlighted some unprecedented achievements of the Federal Ministry Communications under his watch in the last three and a half years.
Speaking at a valedictory press conference held in his honour in Abuja, the Minister disclosed that the Federal Ministry of Communication has recorded unprecedented growth under his watch by focusing on five key areas.
He identified infrastructural development and information security, broadband development and improvement of quality of services and access, smart government, human capital capacity building, and local content development as his major areas of focus, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The minister further stressed that the Information and Communication Technology sector has enjoyed broad based growth during the period of the administration under his guidance.
He also stated that Nigeria’s telephone subscribers have risen from 151million in 2015 to 173 million in 2018, a period in which the ministry was able to initiate negotiation on acquiring two new satellites for the country.
Shittu said: “When we came on board NIGCOMSAT only had one satellite, the stage we are now is to engage with foreign companies that will bring the two satellites to the country.
“In the next six months, agreement would have been reached for onward production of the two satellites which will take at least two years to produce by the Chinese company.
“When we get the two satellites it would be able to take the African market to satellites and the country broadband penetration stands at 33% as at March 2019.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections