13,000 Nigerians benefited from flood relief interventions — FG
The Federal Government says over 13,000 Nigerians benefited from its various flood relief interventions across the affected States in the country.
Dr Nasir Gwarzo, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development disclosed this on Tuesday.
He was speaking during a meeting with relevant stakeholders in the humanitarian services in Abuja.
The stakeholders include the Nigeria Red Cross Society (NRCS), World Food Programme (WFP) and the ECOWAS Commission.
” A total of 13,000 victims benefited from flood relief interventions across 16 states affected by the 2020 flood disaster in the country.
” These states include Anambra, Bayelsa, Katsina, Kogi, Benue, Nasarawa, Kwara, Niger, Kebbi, Sokoto, Jigawa, Bauchi, Delta, Rivers, Adamawa and Yobe.
” This is in addition to the implementation of stabilisation fund project in six local government areas in North-East and North-West where 27, 432 persons benefited.”
He expressed the commitment of the federal government towards providing the needed support to the vulnerable persons in Nigeria.
” Food, shelter, households, water sanitation as well as cash was provided across the 16 flood affected states,” he said.
Gwarzo said that the impact of the flood disaster necessitated collaboration with relevant humanitarian agencies to support government response towards providing succour to the victims.
According to him, the 2020 flood disaster has resulted in loss of lives and livelihoods of Nigerians across the country.
” The socio economic impact of the 2020 flood was very devastating. It resulted in loss of lives and livelihoods in communities across the Six geo-political zones in Nigeria.
”The persistent conflict concomitant with the frequent insurgents attacks also resulted in the displacement of hundreds of people,” he said.
He, therefore, commended the various national and international NGOs as well as other government agencies for the support in providing succour to Nigerians in times of need.
Speakers at the event took turns to express their commitment to support government efforts in addressing the humanitarian situations of vulnerable Nigerians.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Tinubu commiserates with India over deadly train crash
- N2bn: Ex-Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen reacts to rumoured EFCC’s arrest
- EFCC grills Buhari’s minister Pauline Tallen
- UN appoints Akinwumi Adesina, Muhtar, Nwuneli into new positions
- We won’t fix petrol prices again – NMDPRA
- Court affirms Iyorchia Ayu’s sack as PDP National Chairman
- Importer to CBN: Tell the truth, Naira has been devalued
- NLC to commence nationwide strike on Wednesday if new petrol price isn’t reversed
- Breaking….. Tinubu announces critical appointments, Gbajabiamila, Akume, Hadejia make list
- FG to fix one refinery before December — Kyari