An 18-year-old man, Adamu Saidu, has been sentenced Upper Area Court sitting in Kasuwan Nama, Jos, to five years in prison for stabbing a man who was celebrating with his football team after winning a match.
The Judge, Mr Lawal Suleiman, on Friday sentenced Saidu after he pleaded guilty to causing grievous hurt and begged the court for leniency.
Suleiman, however, gave the convict an option to pay a fine of N100,000.
He also ordered the convict to pay N5,000 to the complainant, Gali Khali.
Suleiman said that the judgment would serve as a deterrent to those who would want to indulge in such grievous criminal act of causing hurt.
Earlier, the Police Prosecutor, Ibrahim Gokwat told the court that the case was reported on October 11, at the Laranto Police Station by Khali.
Gokwat said the convict stabbed the complainant while celebrating with his football team after winning a match.
He said that the complainant incurred a hospital bill N9, 300.
The offence, he said, contravenes the provisions of sections 58 and 215 and punishable under sections 59 and 215 of Plateau State code law.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption