Kwarans have been advised to be wary of self-centered politicians seeking election or re-election at all cost through last minutes empowerment programs and unfeasible campaign promises.
This is contained in a press statement by a socio-cultural group in Kwara State, “THE PEOPLE’S PLATFORM” and made available to newsmen in Ilorin, the state capital.
The non-partisan group which consists of intellectuals from across the state noted that many politicians are out now to deceive the electorates they have abandoned for the past years through their sugar-coated campaigns, hence the need for the electorates to wake up to their responsibilities by holding the politicians accountable.
A statement issued by the group’s spokesman, Mr. Joel Afolayan, said: “it is high time the electorates stopped being credulous, but rather stand up to strengthen democracy by asking politicians specific questions on how they intend to run the affairs of government if given the opportunity.
“it is a pity that most of our electorates are still credulous, who are easily swayed by politicians through the meager amount of money and so-called empowerment.
“The time is now that we should all wake up and redefine what democracy is supposed to be in our land, it is also our choice to become victims and start looking for who to blame or we rather rise above it and become victorious.
“We should all do something now to change the narrative come 2023 by participating massively in the election process through the collection of permanent voters cards, coming out to vote for a deserving candidate of their choice, and standing by our votes until they are counted and announced by the election umpire to completely change the narrative for better.”
The group also noted that it will continue its political sensitization for the people to make better decisions in electing credible individuals to pilot the affairs of the state and improve the democratic consciousness of the people of Kwara State.
It however called on youths in the state not to allow themselves to be used as a vessel for destruction or political slave.
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules