A 24 years old acclaimed husband, Mr. Kashif Abdulkareem, was on Thursday arraigned before a Magistrate Court sitting in Ilorin for allegedly abducting a 21 year-old lady and carried out a marriage without parents’ consent.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Mathew Ologbonsaye said that the defendant was arrested following a letter of petition written by Basheer Adefaka against the defendant that he abducted and married his daughter with radical ideology.
According to the victim’s father, Adefaka said the defendant has brainwashed and instigated his daughter against him and all effort to retrieve his daughter back proved abortive.
He said that he asked the defendant to bring his parent to him if he truly want to marry his daughter but he refuse to do so.
The father of the victim said that the defendant belong to a Islamic sect and these people represent his parent the first day he came to my house and I refused to hand over my daughter in marriage to him.
“So later when my daughter went back to school at University of Ilorin and the defendant abducted my daughter from Hostel and did unlawful marriage with her without my consent”, the father said.
The Prosecutor said that the investigation revealed that the defendant furnished the Sharia Court of Appeal Ilorin with false information about the marriage to fraudulently obtained a marriage certificate for the purported marriage.
He said that the defendant appeared in court on a three-count charge of abduction, marriage ceremony fraudulently gone through without lawful marriage and false information with intent to mislead public servant.
He added that the alleged offences contravened sections 272, 386 and 140 of the penal code law.
He said that the investigation is ongoing and left the bail of the defendant to the discretion of the court. The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the Chief Magistrate, Kudirat Yahaya, granted the defendant bail at the sum of N100,000 and one surety in like sum.
- Atiku speaks on forming alliance with Kwankwaso, Peter Obi
- Naira redesign: Emefiele urges NASS, Nigerians to show understanding
- Fuel scarcity may affect election logistics — INEC
- SAD…. PDP campaign rally turns mourning in Sokoto as Tambuwal’s aide, Aisha Maina dies
- Nigeria attains 100% broadband penetration— Buhari
- UPDATED: Jigawa Govt annouces funeral as Emir of Dutse dies at 78
- Buhari inaugurates 5,700-hectare Irrigation Scheme, pledges more relief for flood victims
- 2023 polls will be the best, Senate President assures EU observers, Kenya’s Raila Odinga
- Ondo PoS operators increase charges over scarce new Naira notes
- Nigeria’s public debt stock increases to N44.06trn in Q3 2022 – NBS