This is contained in a statement signed by the Police Public Relation Officer (PPRO) of Kwara Command, SP Ajayi Okasanmi, on Tuesday in Ilorin.
It stated that the official figure indicated only two deaths during the celebration, but people in the area however said that four people were killed by different cult groups in a reprisal attack.
The PPRO however confirmed that two people were reportedly killed during the incident.
Okasanmi said: “Only two people were killed in the 88 celebration by the Cult groups and not four people as being peddled around by some people.
“One person died on the spot of the crisis at Olunlade while the other was reported to have died later in the hospital”.
The PPRO said that the likely cause of crisis was the celebration of Aug. 8 and different cult groups were celebrating the day in many places in town.
“We don’t know what might have triggered the crisis among the Cult members at Olunlade, but we gathered that the crisis might not be unconnected with rivalry among the cult groups.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory