President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, has appointed Senator Adedayo Adeyeye (APC Ekiti South) as the chairman, Senate Ad-hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs.
Lawan, who made the announcement on Wednesday during plenary, also named Senators Uba Sani (APC Kaduna Central), Abba Moro (PDP Benue South), Ifeanyi Uba (YPP Anambra South) and Betty Apiafi (PDP Rivers West) as members.
At the inauguration ceremony, Lawan said the import of the setting up the committee was to ensure that the activities of the Senate to be effectively represented and reported by the media.
“This committee will also work very cordially with our colleagues both in the Senate and House of Representatives with respect to individual Senators made their public affairs matters well articulated”, he said.
Continuing Lawan said: “The ad-hoc committee will occupy a prominent and play role in the senate before the constitution of standing committee on media and Public Affairs.
“Members of this committee were carefully selected from our midst. Those senators that we feel will help us do this job. The members are very experienced and very patriotic will perform according to their mandate.
“We have no doubt in the senate that they will make the best of this opportunity to relate with the public on our behalf, to infor the public on our behalf and also give us feedback from the public”.
Responding, Adeyeye promised that members of the committee would discharge their responsibilities of protecting and projecting the image of the senate at all times creditably.
Adeyeye, a former Minister of State for Works, was immediate past spokesman of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, his party until he defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC after losing the governorship ticket of Ekiti State under the PDP to former deputy governor, Prof. Olusola Eleka, during the last year’s election in the state.
He was also the pioneer spokesman of Afenifere, Yoruba socio-cultural group during the dark days of former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha between 1993 and 1998.
The lawmaker replaced the immediate past Senate Minority Leader, Senator Biodun Olujimi having defeated her in the last general elections in Ekiti State
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price
- Tems wins Grammy award
- Kwara South Group Drums Support For ADC Reps candidate, Gbenga Power
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai