The leadership of the Osun State House of Assembly has commenced hearing into the activities of two steel companies in the state over violation of environmental laws.
Appearing before the house was the representatives of the two affected companies who informed that, they were operating within the environmental laws.
Speaking on behalf of the Ife Iron and Steel and Prisim Steel Company Ikirun, Mr soyede Babatunde said the company was using new technology to control pollution and emission.
Babatunde who explained that the company engaged the service of professional to handle its environmental matters said the company would improve its pollution regulations.
Also Speaking the representatives of Fasina Community in Ile-Ife who host the steel company, Mr Bayo Adesope said the company had constituted environmental hazard to the people of the community.
.Adesope urged the house to call the company to order so as to save residents from untimely death.
In a remark, the Zonal Coordinator, South-West for National Environmental Standard and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA, Mr Ajani Adeleke told the house that the company failed to carryout environmental impact assessment exercise before sitting the company.
Adeleke, said the situation had seriously affected the control of pollution in the host community saying the company had been sanctioned by the agency on several occasion.
In his submission, the Speaker of the House, Hon.Najeem Salam said the house would not condole any act that could be detrimental to the health of the people .
He also emphasized the need for the companies to abide by environmental laws to sustain its existence in the state
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide