The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC) on Tuesday 28th of January 2019 secured the conviction of one Agwu Goodness who was prosecuted over his alleged roles on Offences bordering on internet fraud and other fraud related matter.
A Kwara State High Court Presided over by Justice Sikiru Oyinloye convicted and sentenced the defendant to six months imprisonment after pleaded guilty to a one count charge levelled against him by the anti graft body.
The charge against the accused person reads ” That you , Agwu Goodness ( a.k.a Shemmy Barnes) sometime in October 2019 or thereabout at Ilorin, Kwara State within the jurisdiction of this honourable Court attempted to commit an offence of cheating by pretending to be one Shemmy Barnes , a white woman, who is purportedly in love with one Theo, as it is contained in your gmail account: email@example.com and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 95 and 321 of the penal code law and punishable under section 322 of the same law ”
EFCC Counsel, A.A Adebayo however called on one Lamidi Olarewaju, an operative of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to review the facts of the case.
Olarewaju while giving evidence before Justice Oyinloye said ” My Lord, the defendant was arrested sometime in the month of October 2019 when the EFCC received an intelligence report about the activities of some internet fraudsters in Basin Area of Ilorin, on getting to our Office, we analysed his phone, the team discovered that he sent fraudulent messages ”
Justice Oyinloye in passing his Judgment said the evidence of the Prosecution witness was not challenged or controverted by the defendant.
He sentenced Goodness to six months imprisonment which is to commence from the day of his arrest sometimes in October 2019.
According to the Judge, the convict is to forfeit his iPhone 6 which was reportedly used to commit the crime to the Federal Government.
- Ukraine President Zelensky appoints Oby Ezekwesili as ambassador
- Breaking: Buhari wades into Naira new notes scarcity
- Fuel scarcity worsens, bites harder in FCT
- No new CP in Lagos state, says Police command
- Osun Tribunal: Sanwo-Olu congratulates Oyetola
- New Naira: Tight security at banks against customers’ attack
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor