By Arowona Abdulazeez
At least, 21 political parties have indicated their interests to participate in the November 18local government elections in Kwara state.
The representatives of the political parties on Friday attended a stakeholders meeting at the office Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission(KWSIEC).
The meeting where the participants exchanged ideas on the conduct of the forthcoming poll was chaired by the KWSIEC chairman, Dr USMAN Ajidagba.
The representatives of the parties, however, urged the commission to provide a level playing ground for all parties and candidates in the poll.
Those in attendance at the meeting include representatives of Peoples Democratic Party ,PDP ,Kowa Party, All Progressive Congress (APC,)Young Democratic Party (YDP), Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN)Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Citizen Party of Nigeria (CPN),
Also present at the meeting were representatives of United Progressive of Nigeria , Action Council Party of Nigeria, APGA ,DDC,UDP ,AA, DA, GPP,CPP ,PPN, ADP ,NDLP and PAP.
Speaking at the meeting, KWSIEC chairman, Dr Usman Ajidagba said the shift in the date of the election from Novembrr 4 to November 18 was considered because the commission had promised to conduct ‘‘a free and all inclusive election’’ .
‘‘After the announcement of the election date, people came to us from various political parties ,some sent delegation, it might not be you that are sitting here but they are from various political parties and the electorate, pleading for a shift in the election date.
” They are saying some people are on hajj and they would need to participate in the electoral process like party primaries and since election involves many processes and we have promised to conduct a free and all inclusive election, we have taken note of the various apprehensions from various political parties ,we have given a moratorium of two weeks. Election would therefore hold on 18th of November 20 17 ’’,he said .
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92
- CBN’s cash withdrawal policy’ll enhance financial inclusion – Expert
- DSS, oil marketers set to clear petrol queues in 48 hours
- FG gives update on Ajaokuta Steel resuscitation, legal tussle
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks