The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), has rejected the results of the local council election in Enugu State, blaming Enugu State Independent Electoral Commission for alleged irregularities in the exercise.
The leadership of Enugu APGA expressed this in a statement signed by the Chairman, Ndubuisi Enechionyia, and Secretary, Dickson Ani, on Sunday.
APGA condemned the activities and actions of the Michael Ajogwu-led ENSIEC and frowned on the alleged violation, assault and malpractices displayed by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party in the state, according to the statement.
“The party condemns, in totality, the gravity of electoral harassment, intimidation, violence, assault and malpractices displayed by the ruling party in the state, in collaboration with the electoral commission and its officers, wherein lives and properties were lost,” it said.
“The Ajogwu-led ENSIEC reneged on its statutory oaths and betrayed the mandate imposed on them.”
The opposition party in the state is disappointed by inadequate or non-availability of ENSIEC staff and electoral materials for various venues used for the election, it also stated.
It alleged that the electoral results declared by ENSIEC were pre-written, as in elections were not reportedly conducted in many areas results were declared, calling on ENSIEC to immediately “withdraw the illegal certificates of return” issued to PDP candidates.
“The result is against the will of the people. It will not stand. We will do what is legally necessary to reverse this blatant abuse of our sensibilities,” APGA said.
Urging its supporters to remain calm and resolute, APGA disclosed it had commenced the process of nullification of the outcome of “the irresponsible conduct of a clearly biased electoral body.”
It added: “Our state has never had it so bad. This is the final dance of a failed PDP government and the disgraceful Ajogwu-led electoral body, as we have no doubt that Enugu will be rescued from the hands of these ravenous lions come 2023, especially as the new Electoral Act 2022 has been signed into law by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed