Former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo has reacted to the move by the Federal Government to take fresh loans amid outcries by Nigerians over incessant borrowing by the current administration.
Obasanjo, while speaking to Channels Television in South Africa, described as criminal, the alleged move to accumulate debt for the next generation to pay.
Obasanjo expressed worries that if the existing debt remains unserviced or unpaid by President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, it might become a huge problem for successive governments.
Recalls that the president, a few days ago, requested the approval of the National Assembly to borrow the fresh sums of $4,054,476,863 and €710 million.
Reacting, the former president who believes that borrowing is not a problem, however, stated that the challenge would be the utilization of the borrowed fund and the plan or capacity to pay back.
He said, “But if you are borrowing and accumulating debts for the next generation and the next generation after them, it is criminal. What are you borrowing for?
“If we are borrowing for recurrent expenditure, it is the height of folly. If we are borrowing for development that can pay for itself, that is understandable. Then the payment, how long will it take to pay itself?”
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution