The devaluation came 48 hours after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu announced the plans of the federal government to unify the country’s exchange rate to stimulate the economy.
In his inaugural speech, minutes after he was inaugurated as the 16th president of the country, Tinubu said, “Monetary policy needs a thorough house cleaning. The Central Bank must work towards a unified exchange rate. This will direct funds away from arbitrage into meaningful investment in the plant, equipment and jobs that power the real economy.”
There has been a wide margin between the I&E window and the parallel market, a situation that experts say encouraged round-tripping with Bureau de Change operators.
The situation has seen the CBN devise several measures to check the practice as well as completely stop the sale of forex to BDCs.
On Tuesday, President Tinubu met with the top echelon of strategic institutions including the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, at the presidential villa.
At the end of the meeting, neither the presidency nor Emefiele disclosed the outcome of the briefing. It was, however, gathered that the issue of the exchange rate was discussed at the meeting.
The President also met with the Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Mele Kyari. The removal of petrol subsidy was discussed, it was gathered.
- Nigerians should be wary of purveyors of fake news– Soludo
- MURIC HAILS ARMY OVER KADUNA GUN FACTORY DISCOVERY
- JUST IN….NIPR Insists Tinubu’s Spokesperson, Ajuri Ngelale not ‘Qualified’ for PR Job
- My appointment’ll foster closer ties between government and communities— Tinubu’s SSA
- (PHOTOS) Another Kano Princess, Asmau AbdulKadir Marries Iwo High Chief
- Breaking…. Kwara gets new Commissioner of Police, Olaiya Victor Mobolaji
- What police did to late Mohbad’s body after autopsy
- Make peace your priority, PCN National Commandant, Akoh charges Nigerians
- Update On Doctor Who Performed Surgery For Late Adebola Akin-Bright
- EFCC, FRSC Deepen Collaboration in Fighting Corruption