The Edo State Government has restricted mass gatherings across the state in a bid curb the spread of COVID-19.
Governor Godwin Obaseki made the announcement while flagging off the second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination exercise on Monday August 23.
Obaseki also added that from the second week of September 2021, large gatherings, as well as high traffic public and private places will only be accessed by persons who have proof of taking at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccination.
“Beginning from the second week of September 2021, large gatherings, as well as high traffic public and private places will only be accessed by persons who have proof of taking at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccination. People who have not yet been vaccinated at all will depend on remote access to these gatherings.
“From the second week of September people may not be allowed to worship in churches and mosques without showing proof of their vaccination cards at the gates. Similarly, people will not be allowed to event centers, receptions or parties, without showing proof of their vaccination cards.
“People will not be allowed to access banking services from the middle of September 2021, if they are not vaccinated.”
Acknowledging that the pandemic is in its third wave in Nigeria, with the Delta variant having devastating effects around the world, the Governor stated that his government will work with security agencies to ensure full enforcement of the measure.
Obaseki also disclosed that activities to mark Edo’s 30th year anniversary have been significantly scaled-down in compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
“We are doing this to protect our citizens and all these measures will remain until the pandemic passes away.
“We will not abandon you at this time of the pandemic.
“For us in the state, we have decided to push for vaccination, and within the next one year, we are focusing on vaccinating 60 percent of our citizens to enable us to build herd immunity against this pandemic.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal