Two persons, including an unvaccinated health worker, have died from complications of COVID19 in Edo state.
The 56-year-old health worker died at the Auchi General Hospital, Edo north.
Disclosing this to newsmen on Friday, September 10, the Head of the State’s COVID-19 Case Management, Dr Ebomwonyi Osagie, said the two victims were yet to be vaccinated against the disease.
“The state has recorded two deaths in 24 hours. One of the deceased, a 56-year-old man, was a nurse with Auchi General Hospital, Etsako West Local Government Area. He was diabetic and hypertensive as well as unvaccinated.
Health workers are not immune and they are Nigerians. There is also vaccine hesitancy among health workers like other Nigerians.’’he said
Osagie said since the inception of the Delta variant, the state had recorded 35 deaths and 925 confirmed cases.
“We actually feel sad over the death of the health worker, just as we feel sad each time we lose a soul.
As a government, we want to do everything possible to protect our people and prevent this death; most of these deaths are preventable; we know they had co-morbidities and some of these persons were presented very late.
Late presentation has always been a challenge to us, even during the first wave of COVID-19.
In the health sector, coming to the hospital late is always a very serious issue that leads to an increase in mortality while managing cases,” Irowa said
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud