A star-studded Portugal side left it late to secure a 3-0 victory over a resilient Hungary side in front of a packed out Puskas Arena and captain Cristiano Ronaldo made all the headlines as he set new records.
On Tuesday night, June 15, Ronaldo scored two goals after Raphael Guerreiro’s deflected opener ensuring Portugal defeated their opponents in front of a 61,000 crowded stadium.
With his two goals , Ronaldo has now overtaken Michel Platini (9) as the top goalscorer in European Championship history and is also the first man to appear at five different Euros and score at every on of them.
Ronaldo is the oldest player (36y, 130d) to score two plus goals in a European Championship match, taking the record from Andriy Shevchenko (35y, 256d).
This is Ronaldo’s 106th international goal in 176 appearances after a smart passing move in the penalty area.
He is now three goals shy of being the highest goalscorer in international football.
- Why I’m supporting Tinubu, AbdulRazaq— Latinwo
- INEC has no business with MC Olumo, but park managers– REC
- Protesters shut Benin’s CBN branch over Naira scarcity
- Opposition behind naira frustration– Lai Mohammed
- Breaking…. IPMAN orders fuel stations to shutdown operations
- Turkey-Syria Earthquake: Death toll crosses 5,000
- Atiku pays courtesy visit to Bauchi traditional rulers
- FG tasks Hajj Institute on best services to pilgrims
- Man United massively transformed under Ten Hag – De Gea
- Naira redesign: Don’t make Nigerians scapegoats, says Atiku