A drug smuggler who swallowed over 1kg of cocaine worth an estimated £80,000 been jailed for 4 years in the UK.
Henry Michael Penijn, 36, who lived in the Netherlands with no fixed abode, was investigated by the UK National Crime Agency after flying from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, into Gatwick Airport on 12 December 2020.
Shortly after being stopped by Border Force, Penijn admitted that he had swallowed more than 90 packages of cocaine, though he gave no explanation as to why he’d done it.
After having the drugs tested, NCA investigators found the cocaine was 64% pure, and would have been worth in excess of £80,000 if cut and sold on British streets.
Penijn appeared at Lewes Crown Court on 19 January 2021, where he was sentenced to four years in prison, having entered a guilty plea to importing class A drugs.
NCA Branch Commander Mark McCormack said: “Organised crime groups need couriers like Penijn to bring their illicit commodities into the UK. 93 packages of cocaine is a significant amount for one person to swallow, and for that reason we suspect that this may not have been Penijn’s first time.
“It is also an extremely dangerous method to use. If any one of those packages had split or burst the consequences would likely have been fatal. The class A drugs trade is almost always linked to serious and organised crime, with local communities and the people within them suffering as a result.
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG