British tennis superstar, Emma Raducanu has become the youngest female recipient of an MBE ever following her incredible US Open victory at Flushing Meadows in September.
The then 18-year-old had burst onto the scene with a magnificent performance in the final, as she defeated Canadian – and fellow teenager – Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3 to become champion at just 18 years old.
Three months from her record-breaking win, Raducanu was recognised as she won the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year award, seeing off the likes of Tom Daley and Tyson Fury.
She also made even more sporting history, as she became the first female athlete to win the prize since Zara Phillips in 2006.
However, the accolades for her historic breakthrough campaign have not stopped, as she will now begin 2022 by being awarded an MBE alongside some sport’s biggest names.
Alongside Raducanu, 78 Olympians and Paralympians have been recognised for their efforts to sport and are also included on the list, including married couple Jason and Laura Kenny who will receive a knighthood and damehood respectively.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- MAN unveils secretariat in Kwara, lauds Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Farm workers kill owner in Kwara, remanded in prison
- FG Inaugurates Nigerian Shippers’ Council Governing Board
- Artisan docked for allegedly stealing cellphone
- NIS chief warns officers against extortion in passport processing
- We engage consultant in waste management for clean, healthy environment- Oyo Govt
- Ikpeazu inaugurates ABSU governing council, approves 3 months salary arrears payment
- NAF eliminates terrorists leader, Shanono in Kaduna
- Lagos residents to pay more for waste management — LAWMA
- Kwara Gov greets Olofa of Offa at 59