Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State, on Sunday paid a solidarity visit to his Osun counterpart, Adegboyega Oyetola, over the attack on his convoy by armed thugs that allegedly infiltrated the ranks of the #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo.
Akeredolu, who described the attack as shocking, appealed to the protesting youths to give government time to attend to their demands and interests.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that suspected hoodlums on Saturday attacked Gov. Oyetola’s convoy while he was addressing EndSARS protesters in Osogbo.
He commended the security aides of Gov. Oyetola for not fighting back, saying that the situation would have resulted in an unpleasant outcome which will make nonsense of the the governor’s solidarity with the people.
Akeredolu, however, called on the youths to be wary of criminal elements that have infiltrated their ranks, adding that the criminal elements do not understand what the youths are fighting for.
The governor, who came in company of his Deputy-governor elect, Mr Lucky Ayedatiwa, also thanked Oyetola for standing behind them during the election.
In his response, Oyetola said the protest by the youths was legitimate but warned them to be wary of political thugs that seem to be steadily hijacking the movement in the State.
“The youths should be careful because the core protesters’ ranks have been infiltrated by thieves, looters and vandals, who went as far as attacking private businesses in Osun Mall.
“Please, reconsider the way the economy is being hampered and the fear that has been created in other citizens of the State, and let’s stay focused with our demands.
“Don’t let hoodlums defeat the purpose of this movement,” Oyetola said.
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death