The Enugu state command of Nigeria police Thursday, said they arrested two men for allegedly impersonating the Enugu state Deputy Governor, Hon Mrs Celia Ezeilo on Facebook to defraud people.
The state police image maker, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu[DSP] said the two suspects, who gave their names as Richard Onyema and Richard Odinaka Amadi, had swindled N635,000 from unsuspecting members of the public for nonexisting contracts in Enugu state, through a Facebook account they falsely linked to the Enugu state Deputy governor.
In a press statement issued in Enugu, the command disclosed that the police had since mounted a man-hunt for the two internet fraudsters who were eventually arrested on October 2, 2016 at Port Harcourtin Rivers state, by the anti-kidnap unit of the Enugu state police command, where they were residing.
Amaraizu said further checks on the identity of the suspects revealed that Mr Richard Onyema is 36 years of age and a native of Amokohia in Imo state but resides at No. 20 Mbano camp, Obigbo Port Harcourt before his arrest while Richard Odinaka Amadi, about 40 years of age is a native of Mbaitoli, also in Imo state and resides at Omagwa, Rivers state.
Police investigations further revealed the suspects eke out their living from the dirty deals of creating Facebook account of any identified prominent person in the society and use same to lure unsuspecting members of the public into believing that they are the person that they are impersonating. Thereupon, they will convince the person that there are available contracts to be executed and in the process lure their victims to advance some amount of money into their bank account.
According to Amaraizu, the suspects who are now helping the operatives in their investigations, are regretting their actions and blamed it on their quest to get rich quick.
- COAS commissions projects at NAIC Hdqtrs (PHOTOS)
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative