The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Hajiya Khadija Abba-Ibrahim, has said that Nigeria will soon stop the importation of wheat from Russia. .
Abba-Ibrahim, represented by Amb. Baba Garba, Director, European Affairs in the ministry, made the disclosure at the end of the fourth Joint Commission meeting between Russia and Nigeria in Abuja on Friday.
“We import a lot of wheat from Russia and we are telling Russia that this has to stop.
“We want the Russian companies and farmers to come to Nigeria to show us how we can grow our agriculture sector with modern technology,” the minister said.
The Russian delegation was led by Mr Dianov Alexandar Yurievich, Deputy Head, Russian Delegation in Nigeria.
Abba-Ibrahim said the meeting was to foster the existing relationship between the two countries and noted that Nigeria and Russia had enjoyed cordial relations over time.
“Russia has always been in support of Nigeria at different international fora, it has been in support of Nigeria in the area of fighting terrorism,” she said.
Abba-Ibrahim said the meeting considered various areas of cooperation, including solid minerals, atomic energy, trade, power, works and housing, transport, petroleum, communication, water resources, defence, agriculture and health.
She said Russian companies expressed interest in investing in some areas of the Nigerian economy, especially in pursuing the diversification of the economy through mining, agriculture, among others.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo