Nyalong Ngong Deng, the 17-year-old South Sudanese ‘untouched’ girl from Awerial in former Lake State whose beauty attracted over six suitors, is finally off the shelf.
Nyalong exchanged vows with tycoon Kok Alat in a colorful wedding ceremony at Freedom Hall in Juba on Friday, November 9, bringing to a close the long extraordinary journey in search of a suitable suitor.
She sat pensively next to her new husband, visibly lost in thought throughout the wedding ceremony.One read anguish and family betrayal written all over her face and still it was easy to conclude she was out place.
Prior to the nuptials, the teenager’s family had auctioned her for marriage, a two-week event which attracted prominent figures in an epic competition.
The groom beat at least five other men who had expressed interest to marry Nyalong in line with Dinka culture after each failed to match his 520 heifers, three Toyota V8 cars and KSh 1m (N3.5m) to win the beauty’s heart.
Among the competitors was the former commissioner of Awerial and the current Deputy Governor of Eastern Lakes State among other who is who in the Africa’s youngest independent state.
- Everton fires Manager, Marco Silva
- Nigeria will soon be self-sufficient in rice production— Minister
- Minister launches NAVSA, to create 6million jobs in 10yrs
- Committee of CMDs raises alarm over impending problems
- When will Gov. Abdulrazaq present 2020 budget?
- Senate to IGP: Reduce checkpoints on federal highways
- Atiku decries $100bn annual foreign school fees by wealthy Nigerians
- Senate passes 2020 budget,raises estimates to N10.594trn
- Kano Assembly finally passes bill of new emirates creation into law
- SAD…Obasanjo’s Ex-Special Adviser on women affairs dies at 73