Security agents have tighten security at the FCT quarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) at the Central Business District (CBD), as the Area Councils Election commences on Saturday.
ROYAL NEWS reports that as at 7.30 a.m. police and other paramilitary vehicles were stationed at the entrance of the commission, while security personnel had taken charge of movements in and around the premises.
A visit to some polling units in the CBD, revealed that both INEC officials and election materials were arriving ahead of the election.
At polling units 007, 008, 005, 011, located in Area 2 Shopping Centre, security official and election materials had arrived, while INEC officials were setting up the polling units for the election as at 8.18 a.m.
In polling unit 006, election materials and staff were yet to arrive at 8. 20a.m., though security personnel were already at the centre awaiting their arrival.
A total of 475 candidates nominated by 18 political parties, including the APC and PDP, were featuring in the chairmanship and councillorship election in the six area councils of the FCT comprising Bwari, Abaji, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Kwali and Abuja Municipal Council (AMAC).
Election is to commence by 8.30a.m. and end by 2.30p.m.
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate
- Obi has nothing to offer Nigerians says APC
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house