Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta has congratulated President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Mr Amaju Pinnick, on his election into the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) Executive Council.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Pinnick defeated Malawian FA President, Walter Nyamilandu, by 43 votes to eight during the CAF General Assembly held in Rabat, Morocco on Friday.
The governor’s congratulatory message was conveyed in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olisa Ifeajika, on Saturday in Asaba.
Okowa commended the Nigerian football administrator for emerging as one of the six African leaders that would represent the continent in FIFA Executive Council, the main decision-making organ of the world football governing body.
He commended President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports for their support in ensuring Pinnick’s victory at the CAF polls in Morocco.
“On behalf of the government and people of Delta, I congratulate our illustrious son, Mr Amaju Melvin Pinnick, President of Nigerian Football Federation, on his election as member of the FIFA Executive Council.
“As Deltans, we are proud of your outstanding accomplishments in football administration in Nigeria and Africa.
“Having risen through the ranks as Chairman of Delta State Football Association and later Chairman, Delta State Sports Commission in 2010, you have by dint of dedication and hardwork contributed immensely to football administration in Delta and Nigeria.
“As you deservedly celebrate this victory, I urge you to use your experience and wide connections in CAF and FIFA to help promote and develop Nigeria and Africa’s football to compete with the European nations,” Okowa said.
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note
- Buhari speaks on new naira notes redesign amidst hardships
- NPC boss warns against extortion from applicants
- Tribunal judgement: I have faith in judiciary – Gov. Adeleke
- PoS surcharge: Operators allege bank officials sell cash to them
- Oyo Governor, Makinde Suspends Campaign Activities Over Fuel, Naira Crisis