Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has congratulated the Igbo community in the state on the occasion of the annual Igbo day celebration held in Ilorin.
The governor described the occasion as remarkable as he explained that cultural events are reminders of our origin, roots and the richness of our history in the face of globalization.
This is contained in a statement issued in Ilorin on Sunday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Deputy Governor of Kwara, Mrs Modupe Joel.
He added that while the advantages of globalisation are well appreciated, especially in the area of trade, caution must be taken in order not to abandon the Nigerian culture and mannerism.
Represented by his deputy, Mr Kayode Alabi, the governor appreciated the Ndigbo community for their ingenuity and contributions to the growth of the state.
“In line with our inclusive policy, we have ensured that no segment of our community is without a say in our administration and the goodies it has to offer.
“This speaks to our belief in inclusive growth and unity in diversity. This is the spirit that should guide us as a nation and propel us to prosperity. We are stronger together,” he added.
AbdulRazaq charged Kwara indigenes, irrespective of ethnic or religious divide, to unite and work together to make the state greater, peaceful and harmonious.
The President General of Igbo community, Sir Njoku Nsoku, expressed the appreciation of his community to the governor for the appointment of an Igbo man in his cabinet.
Also speaking, the Special Assistant to the governor on inter-community relations (Igbo), Mr Chukwugozie Igwebuike, noted with delight that history has been made with the presence of a sitting governor at a special Igbo occasion.
He assured of the support of the Igbo community in the state to the second term bid of the governor.
The governor was thereafter honoured with the Igbo traditional title of ‘Nwanne Di Na Mba’, which means ‘A brother from a Foreign land’.
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate
- Obi has nothing to offer Nigerians says APC
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house