Zimbabwean First Lady Grace Mugabe has reportedly told the ruling Zanu-PF party women’s league that she is already the president, as she “plans and does everything with President Robert Mugabe”.
According to NewsDay, Mashonaland West Zanu-PF women’s league chairperson Angeline Muchemeyi said that Grace told them that there was no point for her fighting to be vice president, a lesser position, when she was already running State affairs.
Grace is currently the Zanu-PF women’s league secretary, a position she has held since 2014.
“The First Lady said ‘I’m the wife of the president, I’m the president already … I plan and do everything with the president, what more do I want, for now the position of the women boss is enough’,” Muchemeyi was quoted as saying.
Reports over the weekend indicated that Grace’s ambition of becoming Zimbabwe’s deputy president had been “put on hold” after the Mashonaland West Zanu-PF women’s league said the issue of quota system in the presidium should be avoided.
The development, the reports said, was a huge blow to one of the ruling party’s faction which allegedly had been pushing for Grace to take over from President Robert Mugabe when he finally leaves office.
Zanu-PF was reportedly riddled with warring factions, as party leaders positioned themselves to eventually succeed the veteran leader.
Among the possible names in the battle to take over were Grace, and Mugabe’s two vice presidents, Phelekezela Mphoko and Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment