“I’m uncomfortable in my own skin because of how society makes me feel about it” – Nigerian woman opens up about facing rejections, insults due to her dark skin
A young Nigerian woman, Mariam Besty Sule has opened up about the rejection and mockery she has been facing due to her dark skin.
According to Mariam, the society has made her so uncomfortable in her skin that she resorted to editing her photos before posting them on social media platforms.
Mariam also stated that she lost job opportunities due to her complexion and some people jokingly call her names like “black board”
“I’m very uncomfortable in my own skin, I edit my pictures lighter than my skin color because of how the society makes me feel about it,” she wrote on Thursday, February 18.
“A lot of time I was called different names as joke, but I noticed I was actually affected by it.. the ridiculous jokes of “black board or color of their black shirt” or you’re too black, I can’t give birth to a black child.
“I’ve gotten rejected for jobs because of my skin color and got insulted jokingly.
“Stop saying hurtful things to black women under the disguise of joke because they are colorist statements and you are a colorist,”
“Black is beautiful and I’ve learnt to love it and you will respect it.
Black is beautiful and deserves to be in all shows!”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- What Buhari told Nigerians in his 38–paragraph final address
- Yoruba nation promoters take over FG Radio station, declares self-govt
- President Buhari confers citizenship on 385 foreigners
- I have made Nigeria better– Buhari insists
- Bakare utters suprising statements as Tinubu takes over power tomorrow
- Tuition increment: 2 UNIABUJA students expelled
- Defence Minister hand-over to Perm Sec., Ibrahim Kana
- Lagos to ban parking on roads
- South-east eternally grateful for Second Niger Bridge completion– Soludo
- Buhari, Shettima, Sultan, others attend Inauguration in Abuja