I initiated formula that freed 21 Chibok Girls– –Shehu Sanni
Against the backdrop of the numerous controversies that surrounded the release of some abducted Chibok girls, Senator Shehu Sani has recounted the key roles he played in the negotiation with the Boko Haram sect.
Attempts to secure release of the girls who were abducted on April 14 2014 by the Boko Haram insurgents have suffered many setbacks hitherto, the Senator added.
Shehu Sanni who is the Chairman Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts, while speaking on a Television Programme said he was the brain behind the negotiation which kick-started 2 years ago.
He added that he introduced both the negotiator and the Swiss government who served as broker in the dialogue that brought about the freedom of the abducted girls.
According to him, “I am not in the current negotiation and I chose deliberately not to be but I drafted formula and brought the ICRC and the negotiator and I set the things for the success of this but I believe that as much as the talk is going on, we should simply continue to pray and support those who are fully involved in this.”
Also responding to questions if the Federal Government did pay ransom or swap the arrested commanders of the Boko Haram before the Chibok Girls were freed, Shehu said such question should be deferred.
“I think in the interest of not subverting the process going on to secure the release of the next 83 (girls), I think such question should be deferred.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Senate President: Group canvasses support for Akpabio
- Adamawa re-run election: CAN calls for calm
- FG confirms May 3 for commencement of 2023 Census
- Gov Adeleke entertains supporters with drumming skills (Video)
- Igbos will worship Tinubu if he can create seaport in Anambra– Cossy Ojiakor
- WAAFA: Cleric seeks support for orphans, less privileged
- Ilorin Emir’s palace ramadan tafsir begins on Monday
- INEC set to issue Certificate of Return to govs, deputy govs-elect
- Facts about Gen. Oladipo Diya as he dies at 79
- DSS raises alarm over plot to incite violence