According to a statement from the Agency’s Central Forecast office on Tuesday, the imminent poor visibility was as a result of fresh dust plumes raised at the dust source region (Faya Largeau in the Chad Republic) which according it said was expected to advect into the country and reduce horizontal visibility.
“Dust haze conditions are expected to intensify before the end of the day over most of the Northern cities, horizontal visibility should further deteriorate from 0600 local times of December 15, 2021; as thick dust haze should be observed over some of the Northern cities keeping visibilities to 1000m and below over places like Maiduguri, Yobe Nguru, Potiskum, Dutse, Gombe, Yola, Bauchi, Katsina, Kano, and Kaduna.”
NiMet therefore warned that flight operations may be disrupted and airline operators hence, advised airlines to pick up their flight folders and adhere to regulations, especially at aerodromes in the Northern parts of the country while road users should exercise caution while driving along with areas with poor visibility during this period and people with respiratory problems should take caution.
Meanwhile, in its High-Temperature Outlook, NiMet has also warned that High-temperature between 35°C and 40°C was expected over parts of Kebbi, Sokoto, Kaduna, and Zamfara in the northwest.
“Similarly, in the northeast, temperature greater than 35°C and less than 40°C is expected over parts of Taraba, and Adamawa. In the north-central, parts of Niger, Kwara, Kogi, FCT, Nasarawa, Benue, Kogi, and Plateau are also expected to experience 35°C and less than 40°C.
“Areas in the south that are expected to record the same temperature range (35°C and less than 40°C) include parts of Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Edo, Enugu, Ebonyi, Anambra, Imo and Cross River.”
NIMET therefore, advised Nigerians to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration, avoid leaving humans or animals in the car, especially young children just as it also advised that people should stay in the shade such as under trees if you have to wait outside, Wear light and bright clothing, avoid wearing dark colors.
- 2023 Election: INEC won’t allow PVC collection by proxy
- Gov. Zulum appoints 7 Permanent Secretaries
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour of A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto