The Kwara State Executive Council has approved the award of contract for the establishment of a garment production factory.
To be known as Garment Production Village in Ilorin, the factory will provide job opportunities for thousands of Kwarans, particularly youths and women, Commissioner for Enterprise Hajia Arinola Lawal told the cabinet meeting that was presided over by Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq on Wednesday.
Presenting the memo at the council meeting and explaining the bidding process for such high-end projects in line with the procurement law, the Commissioner put the cost of the garment factory at N1.8bn to be awarded to Freshvine Nigeria Ltd out of the three firms that bidded for it.
The commissioner highlighted all stages of due process and transparency the award of the contract went through before the presentation of the memo for the final council approval.
The commissioner also explained that various sustainable plans are in place for the factory to succeed.
Approving the memo, the council observed that the factory will be the largest in West Africa.
The council noted with delight that when operational, the factory has all the potentials to put Kwara on the world map and change the status of the state from a civil service state to a state with impressive industrial presence.
The Governor meanwhile explained that the project is primed to attract backward integration worth over N2bn of CBN investment in large scale cotton production in Kwara North and parts of the south.
These upcoming investments come on the heels of the agro-processing zone proposed for the northern senatorial district and fixing of the road connecting the phenomenal Owu Fall in Kwara South and the campuses of the Kwara State University in the two regions.
On the issue of security, the council emphasised the imperative for all residents of the state to support security agencies and government’s efforts towards sustaining the reputation of Kwara as a state of harmony.
- Respect culture of your host communities– Traditional ruler to corps members
- Court orders INEC to accept Labour Party’s candidates in 24 states
- Kwara Govt engages additional 200 sweepers to improve public hygiene
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants