Dr. Mahmud Tukur, a former Minister of Commerce and Industry and the First Vice Chancellor of Bayero University Kano (BUK), who died in Abuja, on Friday, after a brief illness, has been buried in Yola, according to Islamic rites.
Late Tukur, who was born in 1939 in Yola, Adamawa state, Northeastern Nigeria, obtained his First Degree in International Affairs and Political science from the University of Wales, a Masters in Public International Affairs from the university of Pittsburg, USA and a PhD in Public Management from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
During the course of his academic career, he was the Director of the Institute of Administration, A.B.U., Zaria, and later the first Vice Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano (BUK).
In his other career as a public servant, late Tukur served on the Adebo and Udoji National Wage Reviews and the Constitution Drafting Committee of 1976, member of the National Constitutional Conference 1994/1995 and of the Vision 2010 Committee 1997.
In 1984, he was appointed Minister of Commerce and Industry in the military regime of Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.
Until his death, he was the Chairman, Fukarabe Industries Limited, Director of Cadbury, Nigeria plc, and the coordinator of Policy Analysis Limited.
In his lifetime, he authored and co-authored many books and academic works, prominent among his books is: ”Leadership and governance in Nigeria : The Relevance of Values” ( 1999).
The late Tukur is survived by three wives, nine children and many grandchildren, as well as brothers and sisters.
Prominent among his brothers is Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, the former Governor of defunct Gongola state, one-time Minister of Industries, and former National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal