Some residents of Iseyin in Iseyin Council area of Oyo State on Wednesday urged the state government to site a mini campus of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), in the town.
Some of the residents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), said the ancient town deserved to have a faculty of the Institution sited in it.
NAN recalled that the state government recently took over the Institution hitherto jointly owned by the state and Osun State.
Mr Bambi Abiodun, a community leader and a business man, said the town should be given the chance to have at least a faculty of the University.
“Iseyin is a very big town and I have heard people saying we should have a multi campus for the Institution which is now fully our own, but the question is that where and where should the campuses be.
“In terms of availability of land, nearness to Ibadan, students population among other factors, Iseyin stands out as a suitable place, I want to appeal to the state government to consider this plea,” he said.
Another resident, Sangotikun Abiodun, also added that the town is suitably and strategically fit to host a mini campus of LAUTECH.
“I know it will look like we are making case for Iseyin because it’s our town but if we have to be very objective it will not be difficult to settle for Iseyin,” he said.
Also speaking, Mrs Odunola Iyanda appealed to the state government to consider the ancient town for a faculty or two in decentralising the Institution.
“By all objective standards, we deserve a faculty or two in Iseyin and I’m almost sure this will happen when the state government decides to have more campuses for our University,” she said.
- BREAKING…Dogara dumps APC for PDP
- Adeleke commences salary payment, vows to restore good governance
- Ronaldo signs £173m deal with Al-Nassr
- Zenith Bank wins Bank of the Year
- Late Onijagbo was a great servant of God— Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Emir of Ilorin mourns late Onijagbo, Oba Fagbemi
- I’m thinking of getting married for sex, says Juliana Olayode
- DMO raises concern over Nigeria’s debt
- BREAKING…Yoruba King, Onijagbo of Ijagbo dies
- Commissioner kidnapped in Benue