The Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy Affairs and Community Development in Kwara State Arc. Aliyu Muhammad Saifuddeen, on Thursday advised Local Government Councils management to adhere strictly to the budgetary provisions as highlighted in their budget proposals for the 2022 fiscal year.
He said this at the closing session of the budget scrutiny of the councils for the year 2022, ROYAL NEWS reports.
He noted that the essence of the budget scrutiny was to identify the grey areas and put the Councils on their toes for proper implementation of the State government policies and programmes.
Arc. Saifuddeen congratulated the Councils on the payment of minimum wage and the consequential adjustments to all stratas of workers under the payroll of the Local Government.
According to him, the success recorded in the Councils was as a result of the present administration of Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, which allowed the Councils to take charge of their affairs without interference from any State apparatus as against the old practice under the previous administrations.
Represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Alhaji Abdulrazak Babatunde Alabere, the Commissioner disclosed further that the dignity of workers had been restored with the timely payment of salaries, pension and gratuity unlike the amputated salaries which the previous administration had subjected the workers to.
He implored the Councils to look inward to boost their Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) and ensure the total blockage of revenue leakages in order to guarantee smooth running of the Councils.
Saifuddeen reminded them of the cost of implementing the minimum wage and the payment of consequential adjustments, which had taken a chunck of their revenue with other developmental projects now begging for attention.
He, however, warned the Management of the Councils to ensure that they take the issue of IGR seriously in the face of increased Councils expenditures.
- American journalist collapses, dies at Qatar World Cup
- ICPC: D’banj breaks silence after release
- Tinubu better than Peter Obi, but he’s a drug lord– Reno
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele