Oluchukwu Onu, a 39-year-old suspected drug trafficker intercepted by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, has excreted 86 wraps of cocaine.
NDLEA’s spokesperson, Jonah Achema, said that the suspect was arrested during the outward clearance of India bound Ethiopian Airline ET910 en route Abuja-Addis Ababa-New Delhi.
Achema, in a statement on Saturday, said, Onu, a native of Umuaku-Isiochi village in Abia State, was intercepted at the boarding gate screening and referred for scanning where he proved positive for ingestion.
The Deputy Commander of Narcotics said the suspect then excreted 86 wraps of substances which proved to be cocaine after drug tests and weighed 1.527 kilograms.
The statement reads: “Onu, a Lagos based dealer in building materials, was promised N1.5 million upon successful delivery to a recipient in New Delhi, India.
“I deal in building materials in Lagos. I have decided to undertake this journey so that I can use the money to support my business. I have lost so much money during this COVID-19, so I need other source of income’, Onu admitted.
“Onu, a primary school leaver, got married last year and the wife is expectant.
“According to Kabir Sani Tsakuwa, NDLEA Commander at the Abuja Airport, investigation is on to dismantle Onu’s drug trafficking network.
“This arrest is spectacular in that it is about the highest number of wraps to be swallowed or ingested by an individual.
“We have also discovered that this is the first case of cocaine moving from here to India.
“We will explore and exploit all angles in ensuring that this particular drug chain is disrupted and dismantled.”
- Breaking …New Emir emerged in Dutse, Muhammadu Hameem
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch