A 29-year-old man, Chukwudi Collins Chukwudi, has been killed by a vigilante in Ebonyi state a few days to his white wedding.
The deceased was said to be attending a wake at Nediokpa in Okposi community, Ohaozara Local Government Area of the state, on Tuesday, April 20, when the trigger-happy vigilante allegedly opened fire on him.
Late Chukwudi, who hailed from Amoji Nenwe in Aninri Local Government Area of Enugu State, was set to wed on May 1, 2021, in Enugu State. His traditional wedding was held on March 6, 2021.
A friend of the deceased, Innocent Ezeogo, who reportedly accompanied him to the wake keeping, said the suspect, identified as Hosanna Aju, had approached them shortly after they arrived at the venue and insisted on firing a shot in their midst. Ezeogo said they ”protested against the move” and when they stood up to leave, the gunman shot Chukwudi dead.
“I am his friend; we attended a wake at Nediokpa Village in Okposi when a gun-wielding man, identified as Hosanna Aju, opened fire on him. The gunman approached us shortly after we arrived at the venue and insisted on firing a shot in our midst. We protested against the move, and when we stood up to leave the venue, the gunman shot my friend dead,” Ezeogo said.
The deceased’s fiancee, Juliana, said she is still in shock over the incident and called on the police to ensure the prosecution of the suspect.
“I tried all my best to stop him from attending the wake but to no avail. We are to have our wedding on May 1, but look at me. I am devastated,” she said.
The State Police Command spokesperson, DSP Loveth Oda, told journalists in Abakiliki that the suspect is not a vigilante in Okposo.
“He could not explain the source of a locally-made double-barrel gun, which he allegedly used to commit the crime,” she said.
DSP Odah further said that plans had been concluded to prosecute him and appealed to community leaders always to report any person found in illegal possession of firearms to the police.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal
- Multichoice, stakeholders reject pay-per-view for TV
- Money to fix Nigeria stolen on daily basis – ICPC