The Portuguese defender beat his City team-mate Kevin De Bruyne and Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane to the accolade following a remarkable start to life at the Etihad.
Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes, Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish, West Ham’s Tomas Soucek, Chelsea’s Mason Mount and Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah also made the shortlist.
The 24-year-old enjoyed an outstanding debut season in the Premier League after joining for £65million from Benfica last September.
His solid defensive displays helped Pep Guardiola’s team stayed at the top of the table during the second half of the season and ultimately finish 12 points ahead of Man United.
City kept 15 clean sheets in the 32 matches he featured in as his partnership with England defender John Stones led to the team conceding just 32 league goals all season.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections