By Arowona Abdulazeez
The Ilorin Emirate Descendants’ Progressive Union, IEDPU an umbrella body of all socio –cultural organisation in Ilorin emirate yesterday asked members of various communities in the emirate to expose members of suspected secret cult in their areas.
The union lamented that over 30 persons have so far been killed in the last 6 months in various brutal attacks carried out by rival cult groups in various parts of the state.
The union also asked the communities to name those involved in sales of liquor in prohibited communities and those involved in smoking of carnnabis sativa and other prohibited substances as step towards of eradication
Addressing a security stakeholders meeting held at the union’s national secretariat, Ilorin, its national president, Alhaji Abdulhamid Adi, expressed sadness that Ilorin emirate which was hitherto known for peace and harmony has been turned into theatre of war.
‘‘Level of criminality is getting worrisome within the metropolis .In the last 6 months more that 30 lives were wasted by cultist.
‘‘Notorious areas include Agbo -Oba , Gada, Edun ,Gambari, and Ajikobi .The latest ones about two weeks ago were at Okesuna, Stadium etc’’ ,he said.
Adi said the union conveyed the stakeholders meeting to rob minds with stakeholders on how to nip the alarming trend in the bud.
As a step toward addressing the menace, Chairman, IEDPU Security committee, Ambassador Usman Abduazeez said unless the members of every community volunteer to purge their areas of crimes the anti-cult war and other prevailing security challenges might be difficult to win.
He urged every community to come up with the lists of suspected cult members and criminal in their community for security agencies to act upon.
Abdulazeez however warned against taking laws into their hands stressing that they must at all times cat within the confines of the law.
The meeting was attended Head of Divisional Police Officers, representatives of Department of State Security Services, vigilante and Metro security initiatives set up by the IEDPU in various communities .
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List