The proposed N19.76trillion 2023 budget has been scheduled to be presented by President Muhammadu Buhari to joint session of the National Assembly next month, but due to the ongoing renovation of the Chambers, the budget presentation is still unassured.
The President of the Senate , Senator Ahmad Lawan disclosed this on Friday to journalists after inspection of room 022 being put in shape as temporary chamber for the Senate on resumption Tuesday next week.
Lawan while speaking to journalists said though the National Assembly is expecting Mr President for presentation of the 2023 budget estimates in the first week of October , but the renovation work going on is creating challenge of where to host Mr President .
” The Green Chamber of the House of Representatives normally used for such very important event is also being renovated , calling for urgent action from the leadership of both Chambers on resumption , on how to address the challenge”, he said .
He disclosed that one of the urgent legislative assignment that would be carried out by the Senate on resumption next week, is confirmation of Justice Olukayode Ariwoola as substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria ( CJN).
” Confirmation of Justice Ariwoola’ s appointment by Senate on resumption next week is very necessary to beat the three months period of acting in that capacity.
” The Senate would have confirmed his appointment before proceeding on recess in July but request to that effect got it from Mr President a day preceding the long recess “, he explained.
He said further that issues of national security which has improved and consideration of the 2023 – 2025 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) and Fiscal Strategy Paper ( FSP) , will also be accorded legislative priority on resumption .
On the temporary Chamber to be used , the Senate President said arrangements put on ground are to large extent , manageable since it will only be used for some months .
” Any temporary arrangement made or being made, cannot be compared to a permanent one . Whatever sacrifice that should be made are being made by us to pave way for Hallow Chambers of the Senate and the House of Representatives , renovated to global standard “, he added .
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign