The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), says 46 suspected drug traffickers were arrested in Enugu State in the last six months.
The State Commander of the agency, Mr Bassey Anietie, disclosed this on Friday in Enugu while briefing newsmen on the sidelines of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
Anietie said that the command successfully prosecuted 20 suspects, comprising 16 males and four females, and secured seven convictions within the time under review.
He also said that 45 addicts were counseled, rehabilitated and discharged within the same period.
The commander said that items seized within the period included 717.578 kgs of cannabis sativa, 132.39 grammes of cocaine and 34.90 grammes of methamphetamine.
According to him, also seized were 81.810 kgs of psychotropic substances.
Anietie said that the global drug situation has become worrisome and that the state could not be separated from the challenges both in prevalence and consequences.
“Our youths are getting increasingly involved in drug abuse and trafficking which to a large extent has threatened their future growth rate and development,” he said.
“The drug problem cuts across every segment of human life and permeates every sector of the economy.
“We call on public spirited individuals and organisations to assist by supporting the agency in any way to achieve the task of making the state a drug free state,” he said, and thanked the state governor for supporting the agency.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the theme for the 2021 International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is, ‘Share Facts on Drugs, Save Lives’. (NAN)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)